Monday, November 29, 2010

Remember When...

do you wanna know one of my most favorite things to do in this whole world?

i love to look through old pictures

Today i decided to pull out the dusty boxes full of pictures of my family on all our fun trips or birthday parties.  I miss the old film cameras, its not as fun looking at pictures on the computer then having that picture fresh in your hands.  i remember the feeling of opening the envelop that had all our new pictures in it, and laughing if someone had their eyes closed or didnt smile.  Now we quickly look at the camera screen, take another picture, and delete the bad one.  Back then you couldnt just delete it. This resulted in horrific pictures of you with your eyes closed about to sneeze ( even though they look horrible I secretly love those pictures )

Honestly I just love to look at pictures of me ( i know, i know it sounds a little concided but honestly everyone loves looking at themselves).  I love seeing how adorable i was as a baby (spagetti on face is a total classic), then how cute as a child, and then how incredibly awakward as a tween.  i love looking back at all these different time periods and remembering being there.  Without pictures there would be so many memories forgotten.  Pictures help wake up little parts of your brain, one picture can bring up hundreds of memories almost fogotten.

One picture did just that very same thing.  It was a picture of me holding a fishing pole at lake powell.  I got a flash back of my grandpa and i sitting there for an hour trying to get some fish.  i was probably only 5 or 6 and i wanted to show my grandpa i could catch a fish, but i was getting so restless.  i finally gave him my rod, told him i would be back, and went and did something else.  I heard my grandpa yell to me and when i went to him i saw a fish on my hook.  He helped take the hook out and then still gave me all the credit of catching the fish.  I loved that memory, my grandpa loved and i loved catching that fish and then (of course) letting it go afterwards.
I love stumbling across old memories like that. It's like trying on an old coat you don't love anymore, and finding a dollar in the pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment